With so many social networks on the Internet today, it can be overwhelming to decide which platforms to spend the most time on, particularly if you're an entrepreneur with a limited amount of time (and resources) to do so.
Still wary about committing your precious time to another network? Here are a few reasons it might be beneficial to jump into Google Plus:
- The ability to segment your audiences. This has proved difficult on many other platforms. Although Facebook and Twitter have created the "lists" feature, the majority of users don't use it (or don't know how to). This results in mass amounts of content being shared everyday -- and it's not always reaching the right people. On Google Plus, you can create different Circles based on the groups of people you're hoping to connect with. For example, if your business sells jewelry, you can have different Circles for customers, clients, other jewelers, employees, etc. The possibilities are endless -- it just depends on what you plan on using the platform for.
- Share valuable content. Content becomes even more valuable when it's directly relevant to the particular audience you’re sharing it with. With Google Plus, you can share information on your store's sales with customers, industry news with your jeweler friends, and business happenings with employees.
- "Hangout" with folks you’d like to meet or already know. Start a Hangout with anyone in your Circles at the click of a button. A Hangout allows several people to participate in a video chat, which can be advantageous in a number of ways for entrepreneurs. You can hold meetings online, help customers through video chat, and much more.
- Use Sparks to find helpful content related to your niche. Add interests on Sparks to find content from across the Web. This can help grow your knowledge of your subject area, provides content to share with your network, and keeps you up to date on the latest news and trends.
- +1 others' content from across the Web. Collect your favorite links from your network, news sources and blogs and display it in your profile by clicking the "+1" button on the link. Your network of Circles can then visit your profile and see your resources displayed next to your photos, videos and biographical information.
How else can entrepreneurs use Google Plus? Have you found that there are certain advantages of Google Plus over other social networks?
Heather R. Huhman, founder and president of Come Recommended, has nearly a decade of public relations and marketing experience, specializing in media relations, content marketing, and social media. She is a member of The Young Entrepreneur Council (YEC), an invite-only nonprofit organization comprised of the world's most promising young entrepreneurs. The YEC promotes entrepreneurship as a solution to unemployment and underemployment and provides entrepreneurs with access to tools, mentorship, and resources that support each stage of their business’s development and growth.